Salvage & Towage Services - Operations Reference List 2014

  • Motor Vessel "MALMO"

    Motor Vessel "MALMO"

    On 4 December 2014 TSAVLIRIS dispatched the T/B "HERMIS" from her station in Patras to the assistance of the general cargo vessel "MALMO" (8,328 GT, 11,444 DWT), laden with cement which immobilised due to engine failure south of Cefalonia island, Ionian Sea. The "HERMIS" arrived at the position of the casualty on 5 December 2014. Tow connection was established and proceeded towards Patras arriving at anchorage on 6 December. With the assistance of "HERMIS", the "MALMO" anchored at the indicated position and "HERMIS" returned to her base in Patras.

  • Bulk Carrier "ZEUS 1"

    Bulk Carrier "ZEUS 1"

    On 26 November 2014, TSAVLIRIS dispatched salvage tug  S/T "Tsavliris Hellas" from her salvage station at Ponta Delgada Azores,  to render standby services to "ZEUS I" (16,833 GT, 27,000 DWT), laden with 25,000 M/T bauxite, at the anchorage of Ponta Delgada.  Standby services were completed on 29 November and the salvage tug returned to Ponta Delgada.

  • Motor Vessel "SUNFLOWER E"

    Motor Vessel "SUNFLOWER E"

    On 16 November 2014, TSAVLIRIS dispatched salvage tug S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS"  from her Piraeus salvage station to the assistance of the general cargo vessel "Sunflower E" (8,604 GT, 13,000 DWT) in ballast condition, disabled due to mechanical failure about 160 n.m. east of Crete  island. The "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" arrived on 18 November and towage commenced to Syros island. The convoy safely arrived the next day at destination and the tow was delivered to Neorion shipyard port tugs. The "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" demobilised to her Piraeus salvage station.

    Read details »
  • Ferry / Cruise Vessel "EUROPALINK"

    Ferry / Cruise Vessel "EUROPALINK"

    On 21 September 2014 the large modern PAX/RORO vessel "EUROPALINK" (46,119 GT, 9,653 DWT) allided with rocks off Peristeria Islet, north-east Corfu island, Ionian Sea, Greece during a voyage from Patras to Ancona (via Igoumenitsa) with 692 passengers, 70 crew members and 366 vehicles onboard.

    The vessel, which sustained severe bottom damage and a substantial ingress of seawater, managed to proceed to Corfu by her own means, where at the entrance to the port she sustained black out and lost power. The casualty was berthed with the assistance of local tugs.   Shortly after arrival at berth, all persons and vehicles were evacuated, while the vessel submerged due to flooding.

    Following a tendering process, TSAVLIRIS SALVAGE  was engaged as the lead salvage contractor (working with a group of specialised co-contractors) to salve the casualty.  It performed  first aid services and delivered the vessel safely afloat to the designated repair yard under tow.

    TSAVLIRIS SALVAGE  team consisting of a Salvage Master, Salvage Engineers, Naval Architects and Divers was mobilised from Piraeus while portable salvage equipment (pumps, compressors, generators etc.) was dispatched onboard the Tsavliris tug "HERMES" from Patras. In the meantime, the anti-pollution oil recovery vessel "AEGIS", with full anti-pollution equipment  (skimmers, oil booms etc.) was deployed from Piraeus with the anti-pollution oil separator craft "AKTEA 15".

    The casualty was thoroughly inspected internally (by the salvage team) and externally (by the diving team). Using 3D modeling, it was verified that all the bottom tanks and some of the side tanks were flooded and communicating due to the internal breakage.

    A salvage plan was prepared and approved by the client and also by the local authorities.

    -The following services were rendered (some of them in parallel) on a "round the clock" basis:

    -Environmental protection facilities around the Vessel, covering also supporting vessels for the entire operation, during which no sea pollution occurred.

    -Temporary repairs from inside ensuring water tightness of the tailshafts, tunnels, stabilizers room and center tunnel, making them all dry.

    Patching (including cutting away) of damaged flat bottom plating and restoring hull integrity and water tightness. More than 80 holes and cracks of various dimensions were patched, including four  big fractures of approximate dimensions 4 m x 1 m and 11 m x 1 m. Additional reinforcements were fitted in respect of the big fractures in order to reinstate longitudinal member continuity.

    -Testing and verification of the watertightness of the engine room (main engines, boilers and purifiers compartments).

    -Washing down with fresh water and chemicals (oil removers/cleaners) the entire engine room, boiler room, tailshaft's tunnels, stabilizers room and center tunnel.

    -Pumping out oil from the flooded engine room by portable pumps into the oil recovery vessel "AEGIS".

    -Purifying of the oily water by skimmers (to authorities' satisfaction) and pumping  clean water back into the sea; monitoring continuously oil ppm content (less than 5 ppm).

    -Pumping out 5,000 – 6,000 tons of  oily seawater from the flooded engine room etc. with portable pumps via the separator craft "AKTEA 15" and, after separation, pumping the oil into the oil recovery vessel "AEGIS".

    -Cleaning the engine room with high pressure fresh water jet and preservation of all the machinery and electrical parts consisting of cleaning, removal of sea water and contaminated oil, flushing with clean oil and applying special preservation oil internally and externally.

    -Pumping out washing residues into "AEGIS", which returned to Piraeus, where she discharged about 100 tons of oily residues to appropriate shore installation.

    Following final inspection by the Port Authorities, Port State Control and the Vessel's Classification Society, the casualty was prepared for towage and the towage plan was approved by the Vessel's Flag State and the Greek Authorities.

    The Tsavliris Salvage tug S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" (dispatched from her salvage station at Piraeus) towed the casualty to Yalova, Turkey.  During the tow, the Tsavliris Salvage team remained on board, as riding crew, both for safety and operational reasons.

    After her arrival at the destination, all portable salvage equipment was recovered by S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS", which demobilised to Piraeus.

    The substantial services, which overall lasted about seven weeks, were entirely successful.

    Read details »
  • Bulk Carrier “INCE INEBOLU”

    Bulk Carrier “INCE INEBOLU”

    On 5 Sept, bulk carrier "INCE INEBOLU" (30,010 GRT, 52,380 DWT) in ballast, with about 1,500 tons of bunkers on board, grounded on rocks at south-eastern Astypalaia Island, Aegean Sea, Greece during a voyage, from Hodeidah, Yemen to Novorossiysk, Russia.


    TSAVLIRIS dispatched S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" (640 GRT, 73 BP) from Piraeus with salvage team and the necessary salvage and anti-pollution equipment. Oil recovery/rescue vessel "AEGIS 1" (1400GRT, 1900 DWT) also mobilised to the site.


    On the 6th September, members of the team commenced inspection on board the casualty, whilst divers assessed the underwater damage.  The grounding had caused significant indentations, cracks and had ripped the plating from the forward end of the bulbous bow up to midway through cargo hold no 1, flooding it in the process. Moreover, rocks penetrated the forward part of the same hold's tanktop.


    Following the transfer of roughly 800m/t of bunkers from fuel oil tanks (FOT) numbers 1 and 5, to FOT number 3 (centre) and 4 (port side), the deballasting of 2000 m/t from double bottom tank number 2 (port side) and the pumping out of 500m/t of seawater from cargo hold 1, the casualty was trimmed about 8 metres by the stern and subsequently refloated.


    Temporary repairs were carried out to the tank top of cargo hold 1 and a yokohama fender (protected by tyres) was wedged/secured in front of the collision bulkhead.


    During the operation S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" supplied fresh water.


    The casualty remained off Astypalaia, with the "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" standing by from 11th September to 1st October, for surveys, Port State Control formalities and weather abatement.  The night of 1st October anchor dragged during prevailing gale force winds.  On 2nd October the casualty was escorted to Neorion Shipyard, Ermoupolis, Syros Island where redelivery took place after all portable salvage and towage equipment onboard was removed.


    The salvage service, lasting about 4 weeks overall was entirely successful.

  • Container Vessel "CRILLON"

    Container Vessel "CRILLON"

    On the 5th September 2014, container vessel "CRILLON" (24,300 DWT, 16,700 GRT), partly laden with containers, immobilized about 100 miles south of Limassol, Cyprus. TSAVLIRIS dispatched T/B PEGASUS (332 GT, 35 BP) from Limassol together with two in-house technicians. The casualty was towed to from her position to Limassol for repairs and subsequently berthed on 14th September when services terminated.

    Read details »
  • Bulk Carrier "GOLDENSTAR"

    Bulk Carrier "GOLDENSTAR"

    On 13th August 2014, M/V "GOLDENSTAR" (28,400 DWT, 16,700 GRT) laden with 35,000 tons of imodium phosphate, disabled having suffered rudder damage in Suez Canal. TSAVLIRIS mobilized salvage tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" (640 GRT, 73 BP) from Piraeus salvage station. The vessel was safely towed from Port Said to Piraeus where arrived on 25th August 2014.

  • Bulk Carrier "TEKTONEOS"

    Bulk Carrier "TEKTONEOS"

    On Saturday 31st May we dispatched salvage tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS", from her Piraeus salvage station, to the assistance of bulk carrier "TEKTONEOS" (25,899 GRT, 43,620 DWT), fully laden with 39,000MT Sulpher in bulk, following engine room fire, about 150 nautical miles South West of Pylos, Greece.


    On the 1st June the S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" arrived at casualty's position and berthed alongside providing standby services and offering any necessary salvage services including bunkers supply.


    On Monday 2nd June towline connection was established and towage commenced to Kalamata. It was decided to tow the vessel in a northerly direction to avoid the adverse weather conditions prevailing in the South Ionian Sea, however the convoy encountered strong winds and rough seas causing heavy rolling and pitching.


    Convoy arrived safely and entered Kalamata Bay on the 5th June. Casualty dropped anchor with the S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" berthed alongside providing stand by services.


    Casualty was safely redelivered to her owners on Friday 13th June and S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" demobilized back to her Piraeus salvage station.


    The services lasting about two weeks were entirely successful.

    Read details »
  • Ro/Ro "SALOOS"

    Ro/Ro "SALOOS"

    On 16 May 2014, the Container/RoRo vessel "SALOOS" (GT 6,950, DWT 4,403, LOA 106 m, Beam 20 m), laden with 155 containers, capsized and grounded off Cabinda, Angola, and was abandoned by her crew. On the same day TSAVLIRIS SALVAGE were appointed by the shipowners to provide assistance to the vessel.

    Upon arrival at Cabinda on 19 May, the Tsavliris Salvage Team performed the casualty inspection, and reported that the "SALOOS" was capsized on her port side at an 80-degree angle at approximately 7 metres water depth. The grounding position was next to Fairway Channel at Cabinda Port. All containers from deck stow had dropped off.

    The Port Authorities assisted in recovering as many containers as possible as they would be a danger to other vessels using the port.

    Later on the day, Tsavliris' plans were explained to the harbor Master who expressed his concern of oil pollution and port blockage from the containers. The Salvage Master explained Tsavliris' priorities and requested his cooperation releasing the local crane borge to us.

    The harbor Master demanded a preliminary wreck removal plan by 26 May which was approved after submission by the Angola Port General Manager.

    The contract between the Owners and the Salvors was renegotiated to a wreck hire contract and the LOF/SCOPIC was terminated on 24 May.

  • Bulk Carrier "ELYTIS"

  • Bulk Carrier "LMZ ARIEL"

    Bulk Carrier "LMZ ARIEL"

    On 16th March 2014, bulk carrier "LMZ ARIEL" (57000 DWT, 33032 GRT) laden with steel slabs, suffered loss of propulsion and immobilized about 400 miles north east of Ponta de Madeira, Brazil on passage from Brazil to east coast USA. TSAVLIRIS dispatched S/T "DE ZHOU" (16000 BHP, 200 TBP) from Aruba to vessel's position which arrived on the 23rd March and made fast.


    A dive team was mobilised from Sao Luiz on board T/B "ALEGRIA" (640DWT, 76BP) and arrived on the 29th March. The diver's examination showed that the tailshaft had fractured and the aft most section of the shaft together with the propeller had broken off.


    Divers sealed the stern tube externally and on the 30th March S/T "DE ZHOU" commenced towing casualty towards Port of Spain, Trinidad. The convoy arrived on 7th April, further underwater inspection took place and provisions and fuel were supplied. Thereafter, the vessel was towed to Freeport, Bahamas following which services were terminated on 19th April.

  • Containership "YUSUF CEPNIOGLU"

    Containership "YUSUF CEPNIOGLU"

    On the 8th of March, containership "YUSUF CEPNIOGLU" (5000 GRT, 7000 DWT) laden with about 200 containers in holds/on deck, grounded on the north western coast of Mykonos Island, Greece. The vessel was abandoned by its crew all of whom were landed safely ashore. TSAVLIRIS immediately dispatched salvage personnel to the casualty site as well as S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" (6200BHP, 73BP), T/B "HERMES" (20BP, 180GT) and oil recovery/rescue vessel "AEGIS 1" (1400GRT, 1900 DWT).


    Winds were very strong from a northerly direction, causing high seas/heavy swell that forced the majority of the on-deck containers to wash over board. No serious pollution transpired except from the smashed containers. Access to the casualty was not possible for the ensuing days due to rough seas. Substantial quantities of debris began to wash up on neighboring "Korfos Bay" as well as other inlets and the nearby islands.


    TSAVLIRIS SALVAGE and EPE (Environmental Protection Engineering S.A), both Hellenic Environment Protection Association (HELMEPA) members, initiated a major clean up effort comprising salvage crew and local volunteers to collect and dispose of the refuge that was washing up along the shoreline. Over 500 cubic metres of debris was collected in the following weeks. Furthermore, oil booms were positioned near the local power and desalination plants to prevent intakes clogging up.


    Containerised salvage equipment was transported from Piraeus to Mykonos and an array of local tugs/barges were dispatched to the island to shuttle containers ashore.


    Following a weather break on the 15th March, "AEGIS 1" positioned oil booms around the casualty and the affected areas where large quantities of debris were floating and work commenced on cleaning up inside the booms. A dive inspection followed and unveiled that 2 cracks had developed, 1 port midship and 1 starboard amid cargo hold number one. The casualty was sitting hard aground, cargo holds and engine room were flooded and the aft ship was wedged between two rocks. Riggers climbed the deck cargo and by the evening the first 40 ft container was discharged and loaded onto one of the barges.


    The loading of containers continued the following day and divers attempted to hottap heavy fuel oil (HFO) tanks 2 port and starboard. The results were poor and alternatives were looked for to get proper access to those tanks. HFO 2 starboard gave a better result and produced a far improved flow of oil at rate of 5-7 cub.metres/per hour.


    From the 17th March, weather permitting, containers were loaded onto tugs/barges (including debris from smashed containers), seafastened and shuttled from Mykonos to Lavrion, South East Athens under tow. The operation of removing the oil continued concurrently.


    On the 18th April, following the completion of oil removal (lasting about 6 weeks) services were terminated and contractors demobilized.


    Contractors currently involved in handling containerized cargo/debris at Lavrion for delivery/disposal.

  • Bulk Carrier "RAPALLO"

    On the 20th February, bulk carrier "RAPALLO" (25,600GRT, 75,000DWT) laden with 71,000 m/t of coal grounded east of Anholt Island, Denmark. TSAVLIRIS dispatched fast service boat "MICKEY A" (980 HP) containing salvage personnel together with T/B "SVITZER TRYM" (76 BP) and S/T "FAIRPLAY-33" (104 BP).


    Following an inspection of the casualty including stability calculations, divers were requested from Hanstholm the following day to carry out an underwater study. That evening, "SVITZER TRYM" arrived to provide standby services. Dive inspection was completed whereby the salvage plan was issued. On the 22nd February, preparations were made for the arrival of "FAIRPLAY-33" following which towage gear was connected. Deballasting of "RAPALLO" commenced that evening and once completed permission was granted for refloating attempt.


    "RAPALLO" was successfully refloated in the early hours of 23rd February and following an inspection, was escorted by "FAIRPLAY-33" to Frederikshavn roads.

    Read details »
  • Motor Vessel "LUCA"

  • Bulk Carrier "CAPE ELISE"

    Bulk Carrier "CAPE ELISE"

    On the 1st February, bulk carrier "CAPE ELISE" (88,800GRT, 174,100DWT) laden with 164,000 m/t of coal, immobilized 200 miles west of the Irish coast. TSAVLIRIS dispatched AHTS "UOS LIBERTY" (16,300BHP) to assist the casualty. Although the weather conditions were difficult the AHTS "UOS LIBERTY" managed to establish connection and held the vessel until the arrival of the M/T "KESTREL" (7,000 BHP) sent to assist the convoy. Due to adverse conditions tow connection parted and reconnected successfully.


    On the 10th February, proper towing connection was established. AHTS "UOS LIBERTY connected at the bow (leading tug) whilst M/T "KESTREL" was connected at the stern (steering tug).


    On the 12th February, the vessel was safely anchored in "Firth of Clyde" and within Clydeport Harbour. Tugs "UOS LIBERTY" and "KESTREL" were connected alongside and vessel awaited full discharge prior to be towed to Inchgreen repair yard.


    On the 20th February, the vessel was towed to Hunterston to discharge her cargo. Tugs "UOS LIBERTY" and M/T "KESTREL" provided safety and husbandry services.


    On the 27th of February, discharging was completed, and un-berthing was scheduled, following which vessel was anchored awaiting to shift to repair yard.


    On the 1st March, the vessel was safely alongside the repair berth at Inchgreen, Greenock. On the same day the vessel was successfully re-delivered to her Owners and LOF contract was terminated.

    Read details »
  • Bulk Carrier "LIGARI"

    Bulk Carrier "LIGARI"

    On the 11th January 2014, Panamax bulk carrier "LIGARI" (38,800 GRT, 75,500 DWT), laden with 66,000MT of corn was involved in a collision with product tanker DL SUNFLOWER (28,500 GRT, 47,000 DWT), in Korea Straight, South of Busan. The vessel sustained hull damages to cargo hold no 7 breaching one of the fuel tanks, as well as the accommodation block starboard side, resulting in ingress of water in the engine room.


    TSAVLIRIS dispatched tug boats ''BAKYUNG No.1'' and ''KUMGANG No.3'' (46 and 35 TBP respectively) and mobilised a salvage master and salvage engineer to the casualty. Local divers, salvage/antipollution equipment and additional personnel were arranged through sub-contractors Messrs. Korea Salvage. The casualty was towed to Busan port anchorage where floating oil booms were deployed around the casualty. Following under water inspection by team of divers, a crack was found by way of starboard side of the engine room. Temporary patching / sealing commenced by using wooden wedges and blankets to reduce water ingress.


    On the 12th January, a team of divers commenced underwater temporary repairs. Tug Boat "DONG BANG 5" (190 GRT, 54 DWT) remained on site standby as per Harbour Master's orders. TSAVLIRIS' salvage team organised and supervised the entire operation including: underwater temporary repairs, cleaning of F.O.T tanks, temporary repairs of damaged area, removal of slops and oil spill response duties.


    On the 18th January, Class Surveyor inspected the progress of the repairs and found same to be satisfactory. Due to forthcoming towage to discharging port, the ship's tail shaft was secured by the salvage team and submersible pumps were installed with a diesel generator in engine room.


    On the 22nd January, the S/T "TERASEA EAGLE" (16500 BHP, 203 TBP) arrived at Pusan for the towage of the vessel to discharging port in China. All towing connections (main and emergency) were completed and tug remained alongside.


    On the 23rd January, all repairs were successfully completed and approved by Class Surveyor. Vessel's departure was delayed due to incident investigation by the Coast Guard and consequent issuance of port clearance.


    On the 27th January, port clearance was issued, salvage services were ended and convoy sailed to Longkou, China and arrived 1st February 2014. This was a successful salvage operation accomplished expeditiously without any pollution occurring.

    Read details »
  • Bulk Carrier "CASSIOPEIA STAR"

    Bulk Carrier "CASSIOPEIA STAR"

    On the 6th of January 2014, bulk carrier "CASSEIOPIA STAR" (GRT 20,200, DWT 32,300) laden with 27,500MT of barite ore, immobilized due to main engine problem about 1600 nautical miles West of Canary Islands. AHT "FAIRMOUNT GLACIER" (16,300BHP/200TBP) was mobilised from Las Palmas to the assistance of the casualty.


    On the 13th January, the tug arrived at casualty's position and towing connection was established following which towage commenced towards Las Palmas.


    During the towage, the convoy encountered bad weather with gale force winds and heavy seas, which affected the towage speed and made conditions onboard both vessels extremely uncomfortable.


    On the 30th January convoy arrived off Las Palmas, but due to bad weather, convoy drifted at open sea awaiting an improvement in conditions to deliver the tow to port tugs. The following day weather conditions eased and convoy proceeded to Las Palmas pilot station whereby the casualty was berthed and safely delivered to her owners.  The 2000 mile towage had been successfully accomplished.

    Read details »