Salvage & Towage Services - Operations Reference List 2005

  • Container Vessel "C/P VALOUR"

    In a particularly challenging operation that lasted for most of December, TSAVLIRIS was engaged to salve the 1,000 TEU container vessels "CP VALOUR" that ran aground in the Azores during bad winter weather.


    Arriving from permanent salvage station in Ponta Delgada, the salvage tug "FOTIY KRYLOV" made a number of refloating attempts but these were unsuccessful as the casualty was hard aground with her double bottoms flooded. Prior to further refloating efforts, the site was dredged and the vessel was prepared for pressurizing.


    To minimize pollution, the salvors contracted a tanker from Gibraltar to remove the remaining bunkers from the casualty and although the removal operation started immediately after the tanker's arrival on December 20, the transfer could not be completed due to a sharp deterioration of the weather.


    Salvors had also mobilised a geared multipurpose vessel to lighter containers from the casualty but in Christmas storms the "CP VALOUR's" condition deteriorated rapidly, forcing the boarding team to abandon the casualty for safety reasons.


    During the next inspection, the ship was found to have lost almost all buoyancy, and had a significant list to starboard. Refloating by conventional means was no longer a possibility, nor was lightering an option, so the lightering vessel was released. Priority was now given to three deck containers with hazardous cargo which posed a significant environmental threat if lost or damaged.


    A Hazardous Material Handling Team of five from the Netherlands was organised to handle the goods and a dismantled "KAMOV-32" helicopter was brought by transport from Bucharest to the Azores and reassembled. All dangerous cargo was successfully and safely unpacked onboard the casualty, airlifted to shore by the "KAMOV-32" (for heavy items) and a Portuguese Puma (for lighter parcels), and repacked without incident, despite atrocious weather and sea conditions.


    After removal of the hazardous goods, the "KAMOV-32" also played a vital role in completion of efforts to remove all pumpable bunkers from the casualty. In a continuous operation, bunkers were pumped into portable tanks, airlifted to shore where they were transported by road to the port, discharged into the tanker and airlifted back to the casualty for refilling. This, too, was completed on New Year's Eve and TSAVLIRIS was demobilised, with the casualty becoming subject to a wreck removal contract. While Tsavliris' salvage team was still engaged on the operation to free the CP Valour, three new LOF contracts were signed in the space of just one week in mid-December.

  • Chemical Product Tanker "ANTONIS A."

    At the same period the 40.000 Chemical Product Tanker Vessel "ANTONIS A." was immobilized while northbound in the Suez Canal, due to heavy structural contact damages at her bow and her rudder. She was laden with 37.548,455 m/t of palm-oil, with destination Mersin and Odessa. LOF was signed with TSAVLIRIS on 15th December 2005.


    A salvage team was dispatched from Piraeus immediately, and S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" sailed on the same day from Piraeus in order to assist to repairs and then tow the vessel to Mersin-Turkey for discharging. Diving-Working Tug "SALAH ELDEN", S/T "MONKAZ 1", two Service Boats, additional diving team consisting of 10 divers and a team of 12 fitters were also hired for the extensive underwater repairs, which lasted over a period of 10 days and were completed on 5th January 2006.


    After 4 days of sea trials, vessel sailed on 10th January 2006 towed by Suez Canal tugs to Port Said anchorage, where S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" took over and transferred the vessel to Mersin 18th January 2006. Once discharge will be accomplished, vessel will be towed by "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" to Elefsina-Greece for dry dock repairs.

  • Bulk Carrier "MOUNT ATHOS"

    Bulk Carrier "MOUNT ATHOS"

    Other successes in December included the refloating of the bulk carrier "MOUNT ATHOS", which ran aground in the Orinoco River during a voyage with 26,000 tonnes of iron briquettes. Two local tugs were mobilized from Puerto Ordaz and a salvage team dispatched for the operation, which freed the vessel in a few days using a combination of scouring and pulling.

  • General Cargo Vessel "STEEL TRADER"

    In the Caribbean, two tugs were dispatched from Martinique and Port of Spain, together with divers and welding gear, to assist the 16,270 dwt general cargo vessel "STEEL TRADER". The vessel, that was immobilized in ballast condition about 20 miles north of Barbados, was towed by a first tug to Kingstown where a second tug took over the operation, its five-strong team of divers performing temporary repairs on the rudder and securing it amidships.


    The casualty was then towed to Curacao.

  • Cargo Vessel "MOBY DICK"

    Highlights of the three-month period until the end of 2005 also included TSAVLIRIS' late-November salvage under a LOF (with SCOPIC) of the cargo vessel "MOBY DICK", abandoned in the Aegean Sea in bad weather after her cargo hold began flooding. The salvage tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" was mobilized from Piraeus and towed the vessel to Levitha Island, where she was anchored, patched and pumped dry.


    The casualty, which was on a voyage from Odessa to Beirut with a cargo of steel pipes, was later towed to Rhodes for redelivery to her owners.

  • Chemical/Oil Carrier "STAINLESS DOLPHIN"

    During a busy period for casualties in the Aegean, a 4,200 dwt chemical/oil carrier "STAINLESS DOLPHIN" ran aground north of Evia Island while on a voyage to Syria laden with 2,000 tonnes of sunflower oil. TSAVLIRIS immediately dispatched "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" and "NESTOR", together with a salvage master and diving team. After performing patching and dewatering on site, and transferring cargo and bunkers that were onboard, the casualty was successfully refloated and afterwards taken to Stylida for further patching.

  • Cargo Vessel "SEA HAWK II"

    The 4,700 dwt cargo ship "SEA HAWK II" had run aground on a reef north of the island of Lesvos while on a voyage carrying wheat and barley from Constantza to Larnaca. TSAVLIRIS mobilized the salvage tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" from Piraeus together with a salvage team and lightering equipment. A small vessel was also chartered from Izmir for lightering of about 1,000 tonnes of barley of vacuvator.


    After lightering and removal of bunkers, the casualty was successfully refloated and taken to Lesvos. Following extensive underwater repairs and patching to the satisfaction of the authorities and class, the casualty and balance cargo were delivered to Lesvos. Eventually, lightened cargo was transferred by salvors to its destination in Larnaca.

  • RoRo Passenger Ferry "IERAPETRA L"

    When the scheduled ro-ro passenger ferry "IERAPETRA L" grounded on October 9th off the port entrance of Rhodes, TSAVLIRIS responded the same day, mobilizing the salvage tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" from Piraeus and another ro-ro ferry, "VITSENTZOS KORNAROS" from Alexandroupolis.


    The replacement ferry was moored stern to stern and ramp to ramp with the casualty and the 37 vehicles onboard were discharged, while bunkers from the casualty were also transferred. Patching, pumping and pressurizing were performed, and the casualty was pulled afloat by the "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" with the assistance of local port tugs before being taken to the port of Rhodes for further patching and underwater repairs, followed by towage on to Piraeus.

  • General Cargo Vessel "HUI LONG"

    The 16.000 dwt general cargo "HUI LONG" - laden with paper pulp, zinc ingots and sunflower seeds - had suffered a seriously list to port due to cargo shifting 250 miles of Sri Lanka . All 23 crew members were rescued by a German vessel "NEDLLOYD ASIA" on 18th May.


    TSAVLIRIS after signing a LOF agreement immediately send off S/T "SB 408", together with a salvage master and naval architect . The salvage plan was to tow the casualty to Sri Lanka for about 3 days . Upon arrival, a towing connection was established and towage commenced to Sri Lanka .In the mean time however, the condition of the casualty was deteriorating and the list increased up to 45 degrees to port side .While preparation for a diving inspection the list of casualty rapidly increased and the vessel eventually sank on May 20. Despite TSAVLIRIS prompt response, salvage services were terminated on the same day.

  • Motor Vessel "ARION"

    The motor vessel "ARION" in ballast, was immobilised due to steering gear failure approximately 875 miles East Of Salvador Brazil. TSAVLIRIS after signing a LOF agreement, immediately dispatched the subcontracted tugboat "Arcturus" to tow the vessel.


    The vessel was safely delivered to the Port of Rio De Janeiro on 23rd of May.


    The bulker "THIA CHRYSSOULA" ran aground in waters off the disputed Outsuri island- one of the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea -at about midnight May 4th. There were no injuries to the 31 crew, no pollution was reported.


    "THIA CHRYSSOULA" was travelling from Jakarta to South Korea, carrying 43,000 tons of steel, when the incident occurred. Attempts made by the casualty's own power ended with no success. TSAVLIRIS after signing a LOF agreement , immediately mobilised 2 subcontracted tugs , lightening vessels and anti-pollution equipment , together with the salvage master & officer, salvage engineer and salvage divers. 

  • Bulk Carrier "CARAVOS HORIZON"

    The bulk carrier "CARAVOS HORIZON" - loaded with 58.162 fertilisers - was immobilised due to steering problems, at position about 850 miles of Azores island. The vessel was en route from Tampa, Florida to India.


    After signing a LOF agreement, TSAVLIRIS immediately dispatched S/T "FOTIY KRYLOV" from Ponta Delgada . Towage of the casualty commenced on May 3rd and headed to Azores; however due to adverse weather conditions and for the safety of the casualty, the direction of the convoy was changed to the East towards Gibraltar Straits. The convoy arrived at Piraeus in the beginning of June.

  • Motor Vessel "ANIARA"

    Motor Vessel "ANIARA"

    On March 31 the car carrier "ANIARA" suffered an engine room fire ,while some 20 nautical miles off Piraeus. The crew were airlifted from the vessel after attempts to extinguish the fire failed. TSAVLIRIS immediately dispatched S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS", together with a floating crane and an additional tug , fully laden with salvage & anti-pollution equipment as well as divers on board.


    When S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" approached the casaulty, she activated the fire fighting and the boundary cooling system .However due to fast drifting and deteriorating weather conditions, the salvage tug made an effort to make fast and hold the vessel, with no success. As a result , a Zodiac was launched with three salvage crew onboard. One crew member - with great difficulty - managed to climb on the rope ladder and to board on the casualty's bridge, taking the casualty's mooring rope. Eventually, the S/T "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" established a tow connection with the vessel, and with the assistance of the zodiac and another tug, the convoy proceeded to a shelter to perform fire fighting services. The salvage operation ended with the safe anchoring of the casaulty at the shelter of Agios Georgios on April 1st. The operation was then continued by another salvage contractor.

  • Motor Yacht "SURF"

    The motor yacht "SURF" had sunk in Marina Zeas due to bad weather on February 15th. Under LOF Agreement (SCOPIC invoked) mobilization commenced the next day due to prevailing bad weather conditions. TSAVLIRIS mobilized two floating cranes and a dive support vessel, as well as a tug for the operation. After deployment of booms and removal of pollutants from the yacht, the casualty was lifted using TSAVLIRIS' 100-t floating crane "DIAS" and thereafter towed to Elefsis Shipyards.

  • General Cargo Vessel "ELANTA"

    Τhe 5112 dwt General cargo "ELANTA",while en route from Morocco to Turkey, loaded with 1789 tonnes of scrap iron , grounded 30 meters –due to severe weather conditions- from the coast of Cape Megalos Lamnionas ,SE Chios island. Prevailing weather at that time was storm F10, South winds, 7 meter waves. On board 18 crew-members, who were all in good health! No ingress of water was reported.


    Under LOF agreement (SCOPIC invoked) on February 15th, TSAVLIRIS dispatched subcontracted tug "ATLAS" - with one diver and anti pollution equipment onboard- and was standby to sail from Piraeus at first opportunity (weather permitting). Due to extremely severe weather conditions the salvage master and the diver flew to Chios and arrived on the same day afternoon, but were unable to get onboard the casualty. Tug "ATLAS" arrived on February 17th. One floating Crane and three dumb barges were mobilized from Piraeus with the assistance of three tugs. All pumpable bunkers were removed from the casualty prior to any lightering or refloating efforts to minimize the danger of pollution.


    Approximately, 1000 tons of cargo were discharged and the vessel was successfully refloated on March 5th after various pulling combinations performed by three tugs. The casualty and barges were taken under tow to destination Nemrut Bay, Turkey for delivery of the cargo to recipients. Convoy arrived at March 10th.

  • Motor Vessel "RADWAN"

    The 35.584 dwt vessel "RADWAN", laden with 33.500 mts of vegetable oil ,while on a voyage from Brazil to Bandar Abbas, was immobilized due to main engine failure approximately 500 miles from Cape Town.


    S/T "NIKOLAY CHIKER" was dispatched from Cape Town on January 29th to assist the casaulty.The tug arrived at the site the next day at noon and towed her back to the port of Cape Town on February 4th.

  • Motor Vessel "MARRAKECH EXPRESS"

    Tsavliris tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" sailed from Piraeus to Limassol, Cyprus to tow M/V "MARRAKECH EXPRESS". The vessel was safely deliverd to Syros island on April 18th.

  • Bulk Carrier "DIA P"

    Bulk carrier "DIA P" loaded with 31.000 tonnes of Sonya beans and maize stranded near Tartous Port Breakwater on January 23rd. The vessel was en route from San Lorenzo to Tartous Syria. After obtaining LOF on January 25th, TSAVLIRIS tug "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" - together with a salvage master and divers on board sailed the next day .The tug was fully loaded with salvage equipment including crabs, yokohama fenders, electric submersible pumps, hoses etc.


    "MEGAS ALEXANDROS" voyage was interrupted several times due to bad weather and was forced to seek shelter; when she finally arrived at the casualty site in bad weather on January 31st, one crewmember injured while boarding on the casualty and was repatriated. One geared and two gearless vessels were used for lightening approximately 8.000 mt of maize in order to refloat the ship, with a combination of grabs and vacuvators. More specifically, suitable grabs and two vacuvator were dispatched for this purpose. The lightening operation was interrupted / delayed on numerous occasions due to bad weather prevailing throughout the operation and the fact that the casualty offered no lee side.


    On February 27, a second tug was brought in the 3.000 hp Kerveros ,which was hired to assist in the salvage operation and performed tasks such as scouring. On completion of the lightening operation and with a combination of scouring and pulling the vessel was successfully refloated on March 7th.

  • Bulk Carrier "MANI P"

    TSAVLIRIS operated salvage tug "FOTIY KRYLOV" was engaged to tow the bulk carrier "MANI P" from Las Palmas to Lorient.

  • Chemical Tanker "ECO PRINCESS"

    The 7.074 dwt chemical tanker "ECO PRINCESS" in ballast ,became immobilized about 350 miles NE of Cape Verde Islands .TSAVLIRIS -under LOF agreement - dispatched S/T "LEOPARD" from Mindello and the casualty was taken under tow, arriving at Dakar Roads on January 16th .

  • Motor Vessel "GILIAN"

    On January 7th, the 14.000 dwt container vessel "GILIAN" suffered an engine room explosion and was immobilized off Tanjung Pandan, at position approximately 340 miles SE of Singapore. "GILIAN" was on a laden voyage of 300 containers from Jakarta to Singapore. TSAVLIRIS - under LOF agreement - immediately mobilized a salvage master and the subcontracted S/T "SEABULK CARROLL" from Singapore to tow the casaulty.


    The vessel was safely delivered on January 12th at Singapore Boarding Ground B.

  • Floating Production (FPSO) Vessel "SANHA"

    "NIKOLAY CHIKER" and tug "DE DA" towed a floating production (FPSO) vessel, "SANHA" from Cape Town to its offshore station at Cabinda Angola, assisting with positioning.